Friday, July 01, 2005

You have to admire Tom Cruise's passion

You have to admire Tom Cruise's passion about life and his religion, even if you don't agree with his religion or like the way he verbally threw up on Matt Lauer. I've been a Tom Cruise fan since Top Gun. The Mission Impossible projects were cool and I really enjoyed watching The Last Samurai on vacation this week. All very passionate movies. I wouldn't expect less from Tom Cruise. In his interview with Lauer he was quoted as saying that he's passionate about life. I would agree. He is one passionate dude.

Mr. Cruise is also passionate about the Church of Scientology. In fact, that's why he really blew up at Mr. Lauer. He went ballistic, pun intended, about his religion. I didn't get to see the interview, but when I read about it I thought it a bit unusual coming from a Hollywood type. I mean, after all, Hollywood types are passionate about a lot of things...usually weird things...but not about religion. When I read about how he went off about how the mental sciences were essentially a hoax I was taken back a bit. Don't get me wrong. If there ever was a "suck it up and tough it out" kind of person, it would be me. But, I think that we overdiagnose and overprescribe meds way too much in emotional and behavioral situations that are even slightly out of the norm. However, I don't totally dismiss drugs or therapy. If you're in the ministry (at least in the majority of ministry environments) for very long you get mentally down. More people in the ministry than want to admit it get depressed. It happened to me. While drugs and counseling aren't the only answer to chemical imbalances they sure can help. I digress...

Even though I admire Mr. Cruise's passion, I find his commitment to his religion suspect. I knew enough about Scientology to get me into trouble so I went to a source that I felt was trustworthy...a minister of Scientology that's also a chaplain in the U.S. Navy. I respect the view of a U.S. Navy chaplain primarily because my experience with Navy personnel has been one that exudes precision. Anyway, back to the suspect thing. To become a minister in the Church of Scientology you have to start out "auditing" other people. Specifically auditing is "a unique form of personal counseling intended to help an individual look at his own existence and improve their ability to confront what and where they are. It is a precise, thoroughly codified activity with exact procedures" (emphasis mine). The auditor keeps a close watch on the counselee by using an E-Meter. The E-Meter continuously measures the electrical resistance of the person's body and helps the auditor correctly diagnose the person and make necessary adjustments in the person's treatment. The E-Meter ain't exactly an EKG. Read an interesting article on the E-Meter here.

When an auditor establishes their...umm...integrity, they are given the title of minister and wear clerical clothing and everything. The genesis of my cynicism is that Mr. Cruise sounds a lot like a KJV fundie when he starts bashing the "pseudo sciences" of psychology and psychiatry and comes off as a self-professed expert on behavior modification drugs that are readily available on the street. Here's what I really don't get...Why doesn't Tom Cruise think that "auditing" functions, at least on the base level, just like psychiatry or psychology? The intent of any counseling session is the modification of behavior. There's no difference. Except that in psychiatry they actually use EKGs, MRIs, and CT scans.

Another thing I don't get is that Mr. Cruise is a smart guy, but he seems to overlook the fact that Scientology looks curiously like a mixture of Mormonism, Hinduism, and Universalism with a healthy dose of good old fashioned gnosticism mixed in. Then Mr. Hubbard adds a bit of deism to make it look more legit.

One more thing I don't get is how a religion is given so much credibility when it's based on one person's sole writings and teachings with verbosity being the benchmark of truth. Can we get a second opinion from another auditor or something? I even get a second opinion when I ask if a movie is worth seeing. Maybe the reason I like the Bible so much is that it has at least 31 human authors that claim to be inspired by the Holy Spirit of God. I figure if over 3o people can come up with the same things about God something has to be right about it.

Wow, that felt better than a discharge of harmful energy...I think. I had a bad muscle spasm one time and the doctor hooked me up to a Medco Sonolator and it made my muscle twitch a lot and then I felt better. Was that like a reverse discharge of harmful energy? Did I dabble in Scientology? They didn't talk to me while they were doing it so I don't think I was "audited". I think I'm OK.

Oh well, you still have to admire Tom Cruise's passion. You have to admit he's a good actor. He's creative. He's intelligent. I also think he's misled. Just my opinion, of course. But what do Matt Lauer and I know about anything anyway?