Thursday, July 07, 2005

Unfreakingbelievable (and a word to people that comment, especially anonymous ones)

OK, so I change the format of my blog (out of sheer laziness) and post my devotions that go along with my current message series and, according to Bravenet.com, I've had 65 first time visitors today? Unfreakingbelievable. I thought the four people that RSS the sight would put me on snooze. What gives? How did this happen? Eleven comments (really 10 cause I screwed up one of my own) on one little entry on the dependablity of the Bible? Unfreakingbelievable. Maybe it's a fluke. Who knows. If not, we need some ground rules here.

A note to people that comment: (other than people I actually know)

The devotions that will be posted over the next few weeks are founded on the historical, orthodox beliefs of the Christian church taken solely from the Bible. If you have questions, I'll answer them as best I can but I won't debate you.

My suggestion is that instead of hiding inside the Internet, go to a church close to you that believes the Bible and start a dialogue with one of their leaders. If they're lame and won't talk to you, go to another one. There's one within driving/subway distance to you surely. If you're unable to get out of your house, we can find someone to come to you. The reason I say all of this is that the Kingdom of God is about relationships. You simply can't form those over the Internet. Constructive dialogue happens when two people are face to face. I encourage anyone that wants to comment to do so, but bear in mind that if you want to enter into dialogue about something, don't try to hide from confronting the issue with a real human. Christianity is made to be discussed in community with real live human beings. The general anonymity of the Internet is simply contradictory to the organism of community. Talk to a human being (in person) that's been transformed by the power of Jesus Christ and you'll find the conversation very engaging.

A word to any future anonymous posters: I'll delete your comment if you post anonymously. In my best Jack Black voice, aka Ned Schneibly: "Posting anonymously is lame." Fortunately, the ones I've challenged have stepped up and given me their name or blogger name. Why so...... ...uncompromising? My job as a spiritual architect is to help people engage God through relationships in community. Anonymity is simply contradictory to the organism of community. I can only care about someone if I know their name.

Tomorrow's devotion: I don't know yet. Something about knowing God better. Based on today's happenings it will probably take a 'relationships and how our culture cultivates isolation instead of community' kind of bent. I'll need to see what the Bible says about it first.

65 new readers today. Hmmm.