Friday, July 08, 2005

reflections on world events

I've had a super busy day. It centered around a trip to the doctor. Thanks to the fall of man I have a sinus infection and bronchitis. Fun. I've just now really had time to sit down and reflect on yesterday's bombings in London.

I'm a bit of a hawk. I took a fair amount of military science classes in college. I even went to ROTC summer camp...for two days. When I made it to the ENT doctor during in service, he disqualified me and sent me home. For guess what??? Sinus issues. Back to the hawk thing. I also pastored near Ft. Sill in Lawton, OK. It's one of the largest new recruit training posts in the Army. I have lots of friends that serve or have served in some sort of artillery unit. I even got to "pull the tail" on a Paladin howitzer. Gee whiz was that a rush. I also pastored near Dahlgren, VA which is home for a Naval R&D base. With extra special permission (seriously) I got to tour the bowels of the computer system for our SLBMs (Trident). I didn't understand 80% (Probably why they let me in, ya think?) of what I saw but it was phenomenal anyway. I also got to tour the training center for the Aegis destroyer radar system. Talk about Star Wars kind of stuff. I thoroughly enjoyed hanging out with our military personnel.

So when a friend told me about the bombings in London yesterday, I got a pit in my stomach. Not a 911 kind of pit, but a pit nonetheless. My cynical mind went through it's normal thought process...protesters, conspiracy theory...back to reality...terrorists. I watched the cable news networks and scoured the Net for whatever was there. It seems the bombs were simple but the organization of the attacks wasn't. Then I got really ticked off. Whoever did it are a bunch of spineless mongrels. Almost simultaneously I began to laugh.

The name of the group that took responsiblity for the killing of innocent people and wounding hundreds of others was...Are you ready?...The Secret Organization of al-Qaida in Europe. I just thought the name was really funny. Maybe it just lost something in the translation from another language or something. I mean, who takes credit for an act of war with a name like The Secret Organization of al-Qaida in Europe. I still say they're spineless mongrels.

May God bless and protect the Brits. May their intelligence network find and serve justice to the perps quickly. God save the Queen. God bless America.