Tuesday, July 26, 2005

"I'll never do that again..."

I'll never chew tobacco again. As a right of passage to make the varsity high school baseball team, I took a good chew of Red Man. Thank goodness it was at the end of practice on the way home. I turned three shades of green and then got sick. I promised myself I would never do that again. I didn't do it again...until a year later. A good friend of mine said Copenhagen was smooth and he never got sick. He said I should try some. I did it again. I turned four shades of green this time and got more sick than I did the time before. It was awful. I said to myself...you guessed it...I'll never do that again.

I actually never did use smokeless tobacco after the last time it made me sick. It wasn't will power or a brilliant display of holiness on my part. It was a passage of Scripture from the Bible that taught me a powerful truth about learning from my past mistakes.

As a dog returns to its vomit, so a fool repeats his folly (Proverbs 26:11, NIV).

Poignant, don't you think? Those words graphically spoke to me how ridiculous it was for me to use smokeless tobacco. Others could handle it. I couldn't. To continue trying it was just being stupid. I kept returning to my vomit, so to speak, and I kept playing the fool. Those words kept me from repeating that past mistake. The principle of Proverbs 26:11 kept me from repeating other mistakes as well.

Why is it so hard for us to learn from our past mistakes? Why don't we learn from them? To keep doing something over and over again that causes us physical or emotional pain is foolish. We keep doing "it" because we don't like to admit we're wrong. We try to rationalize our behavior so we can continue the madness. However, the only way to stop the cycle of damaging behavior (sin) is to put wisdom in our mind and soul. To do that you have to ask God for wisdom (James 1:5) and memorize an appropriate Scripture that will help you refrain from doing "it" again.

My troubles turned out all for the best - they forced me to learn from your textbook (Psalm 119:17, MSG).

Make a point to memorize Proverbs 26:11 (the dog and vomit passage). It's kind of gross, but I promise you it will make you stop and think next time you want to repeat a past mistake. God wants his best for you. He's given us all the wisdom we need for life in the Bible. Put the Scripture into your heart and soul. The repetitive mistakes of the past will fade away and you'll begin to understand the phrase "His love endures forever."

Have a great day.