Thursday, May 19, 2005

some music reviews


Mute Math ep. A couple of the guys from now defunct Earthsuit started this band. While a bit eclectic, their music is soothing and fresh. With mixes of techno, reggae, and Brit pop it's a mix that I find strangely addictive. The song Peculiar People is eerily like an early Sting tune. The words are great and a bit less cryptic than when they did the Earthsuit thing. I personally think 4 of the 7 songs on the EP are outstanding. The song OK is an incredible song of grace. The band is supposed to record a full length project in the Fall, pending more radio play and EP sales. My worship arts pastor saw them in Pensacola this week and said they were phenomenally close to their studio sound. I can't believe I actually like these guys.


United is the modern worship ministry of Hillsong. You can tell that the next generation has been strongly influenced by their older mentors Darlene and the other dude that writes most of their songs. A lot of people recommended this and, frankly, I was dissapointed. The slower stuff was the best, but the rest was musically uninspired. As usual the lyrics are spot on but it didn't make me want to crank the volume. It seemed to have the dynamic that some of us were talking about at lunch a few days ago. When a huge crowd is involved, mediocre music and speaking takes on an energy level higher than it deserves. That's my take on this project and I'm sticking to it. We'll cover a couple of the slower songs on this one...maybe.


Dwell is a worship CD recorded at the Cincy Vineyard by artists from both the US and the UK. It's a best of the best of music from the Vineyard Church worldwide. The first three cuts are worth the price of the CD. Dwell, More Than Ever (our church begs us to play this song all of the time) and Love Me Like You Do are the best of the project. There are a couple of other good ones in my opinion. The whole thing has a very Coldplay feel to it. Nice.