Wednesday, May 18, 2005

burb missionary revisited

My bud Gary Lamb made a great comment about burb missionary. In addition to:
  1. Create a space that has visual continuity with current culture.
  2. Engage people.
  3. Talk about things that matter to people.

He said I should add:

4. Create a place where relationships can be formed.

I agree. It has to go beyond engaging people. Since most of us in our area are reaching transplants and not "from here's" it's essential that we give them a place to connect to other human beings. It's a primal need.

Thinking out loud here...that means that the space at our new location will need to be changed. We currently have space allocated for an office for me. No more. That space will be opened up and we will put in casual seating coffeehouse style. In fact, if we can pull it off, we'll compact the resources area or move it so that the foyer/entry will be much more open and inviting to conversation.

My office will become a laptop that sits on a table in the lobby with wireless access. I don't view it as a cool new way of officing. Face it, people have been doing it for a long time. I simply see that it's necessary for me to give up office space which is near and dear to me (remember I'm a 3rd generation preacher) for the potential impact it will make on people that have a desire to be connected.

Small groups/growth groups/life groups etc. will play a part also, but for now the burb missionary thing is all about Sunday morning.

Thanks Gary.