Monday, May 09, 2005

The sacred tradition that is Moleskine

My friend Charlie is generous in many ways. For an old guy he sure stays on the cutting edge of stuff....I love you man. He introduced many of us to the venerable Moleskine. I'm no Hemingway, as evidenced in this blog, but as a pastor I am a writer of sorts. I've gotten less electronic in the last couple of months even though I still write sermons straight into PowerPoint. I've essentially replaced my PDA with 3x5 cards, known in culturally astute circles as a hipster pda. And, wanting to be on the edge of culture as the ever hip Charlie, I bought my first Moleskine the other day.

Here's my thinking...If Hemingway and all those other brilliant guys carried one of these around, maybe there's a creative vibe they have.


For two centuries now Moleskine (mol-a-skeen'-a) journals have been the legendary notebook of artists, writers, intellectuals and travelers. More popular than ever, Moleskine notebooks possess stylish minimalism and unmatched quality. This century new legends are being created with the help of this modest book. Moleskine journals help in daily life, work and play, at home and traveling the world. This is the journal that has been as it remains today a truly reliable friend - always at the ready. Helping in life - helping create and capture life stories.

No, not a superstitious kind of thing, but the kind of vibe you get from feeling the pen touch the paper. The ability to see emotion in your handwriting when you look at something you've written a couple of days later. Sort of an ancient connection to the mind's process of putting something on paper. I'm convinced our creativity is tied to our spirituality. That's why I'm using the Moleskine as a prayer journal. As God speaks sermons come. As God speaks I can write something down and not hate myself for failing to remember it. The artistic masters were onto something. They just happened to use the really cool black notebook with the elastic band and the nifty little pocket in the back.

Okay, so you can get a composition notebook at Wal Mart for a fraction of the cost but it's sort of like being able to afford a BMW and choosing to drive a '72 Volkswagen Bug instead. Get the Bimmer.

All that being said, I have a new passion and craving for time spent with God. It wasn't the Moleskine that made the difference, but the Moleskine will keep well and it does have a great track record with great minds.

I can use all the help I can get.