Wednesday, February 16, 2005

A really good project minus the f-bomb



I wasn't a fan of U2 back in the days of Under a Blood Red Sky or Joshua Tree. In retrospect, it was/is good music but back then I was fighting the whole alternative scene and desperately clinging to my VanHalen and Boston LPs. I knew U2 had a spiritual bent but I honestly was clueless about postmodern thought and methods.

I'm still clueless about a lot of things, but I understand the method and brand of spirituality of How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. The lyrics on this project are really good. The music is polished and I must admit the acquired taste is very pleasing. Yahweh is an especially good song. Not one that our Jewish friends will cling to soon. Maybe they should have released an alternate version entitled Adonai. OK, maybe that's a bit too PC.

Mostly, I like the project because the band doesn't drop the f-bomb or anything else of the sort. I was disappointed when Bono let it slip a while back. I think if I ever ran into him I would, as a brother in Christ, call his hand on it. I am dying to know how he would respond...In humility or in the arrogance that comes with rock icon status? I'll probably never know.

Bottom line...if you're even close to liking U2 I recommend this project. It's well worth the $9.72 at WalMart.