Wednesday, February 23, 2005

My guess is you won't find these in your seminary bookstore

Seminary was great for me. I wanted to learn the original languages and get academic with it because I grew up in a very uneducated religious environment. Unfortunately, it seems as if the apple has fallen very close to the tree sometimes. Anyway, I busted my butt and made good grades. I'm actually academically eligible to purse a PhD. No thanks. I'll just keep doing what I do.

With that little blurb out of the way, let me share two books that I'm guessing you won't find in many seminary bookstores. It's a guess, because a lot of guys that I read about that are graduating from seminary haven't been schooled in the finer arts of leadership and environment creation. Maybe this little mention will multiply and help a church planter or struggling pastor out there. I've learned more about church planting and leadership in the last two months than in the last ten years.

The first book is First Impressions, Creating WOW Experiences in Your Church.
What a great book that let's you learn from Granger Community Church's mistakes. I didn't want to put it down because I recognized out much we needed to improve our church even though people already say it's friendly. No wonder our back door is more like a revolving door! I'm getting 15 copies and making it mandatory reading for all of our team leaders. You can buy it here.

The second book, Simply Strategic Stuff, is what my buddy Gary said was a good bathroom read. I agree.

It's short 99 chapters make it excellent book to kill a few spare minutes. But it goes beyond that. The chapters are pithy, usable helps to make your church function at a much higher level. It should be a staple for all church planters or anyone that's drowning in details or hitting organizational snags. Buy it here. Share the love. Maybe I'll be as eloquent and well read as my buddy Charlie Pharis someday.