Tuesday, August 09, 2005

The big flashlight: a modern day parable

It was a dark and stormy night. (Nice beginning, huh?) The weatherman had warned of thunderstorms and possible tornadoes. The hail woke us up. Then it got still and quiet. Then the wind picked up again. That meant it was time to get in the 'frady hole (Okie phrase for storm cellar). We had to use our hall bathtub as our storm cellar. But that wasn't the real problem. The problem was, the power was out. It was pitch black except for the flashes of lightning that intermittently gave just enough light to get to a spot and be stuck until the next flash of lightning. I didn't have to worry about that because I had the big flashlight in my bedroom. The other flashlights had weak batteries. I knew that because I could hear Dad screaming something to the effect that I had better put fresh batteries in his flashlight after I go frog gigging next time or it would be my hide. I was thinking to myself he should have listened to the weather before he went to bed. After all, the weatherman said it was going to storm...bad. The more I thought, the worse things got all the way around.

It didn't help matters that Dad stubbed his toe on his way to the kitchen to find some matches and a candle. Now he needed the light so he could find me and kick me into next week. All the time I couldn't figure out what the panic was about. I couldn't hear the freight train sound of the tornado yet. Besides, I had the big flashlight with me. In fact, I was just getting out of bed to find it for Dad.

Now there was another problem. I couldn't find the big flashlight. I couldn't find the only flashlight in the house that had a good battery in it. Brilliant. I needed to find the only good flashlight in the house fast because things were quiet in the kitchen. That meant Dad was getting close to having the light necessary to...well, you know.

Found it. It was under my laundry. Not in the laundry basket, just under my laundry. Under the "clean enough to wear again" pile next to my bed. I clicked the button on the big red flashlight with the good battery, and it lit up my room. I turned around to take Dad the flashlight and saw him standing in the doorway. I anticipated the inevitable implementation of Proverbs 23:13. As I handed the light over to my Dad, he greeted me with words that I completely did not expect.

He took the good flashlight from me and said, "Son, you have to keep the big flashlight where anyone can get to it when it storms. It puts everyone at risk when you keep it to yourself. Now take this candle and go get some blankets out of the closet and get in the tub in the hall bathroom. I'll go get your mother.........What in the world were you thinkin' anyway?"

I was thinking I was glad I didn't get kicked into next week. I was thinking I was selfish to keep the only good flashlight for myself. I was thinking Dad knew that feeling guilty about putting others at risk would be worse than his boot in my backside.
.......................................

Don't hide your light under a basket! Instead, put it on a stand and let it shine for all (Matthew 5:15, NLT).

Even in the most modern of translations, Matthew 5:15 takes some investigation to understand the truth within the passage. Let's put the passage in modern day terms. "Don't turn your flashlight on and stick it in the laundry basket. Instead, keep it out where everyone gets use out of it." In other words, if we keep the light that Jesus Christ has given to us to ourselves, it deprives those who don't have a relationship with him from knowing him at all. Their eternal safety is at risk when we selfishly keep it to ourselves. If you and I are going to make a difference in the world, we have to put the light of Christ in an obvious place. A place where it can benefit everyone.

Heavenly Father, please help us remember that the light of your love is for everyone. May we never keep it to ourselves. In Jesus name we ask this. Amen.

Have a great day.