Monday, March 14, 2005

A great theologian dies...Stanley Grenz

I just read about Stanley Grenz's passing. Stanley Grenz didn't make huge impact on me when he was a guest lecturer in my systematic theology class in seminary. Then he was just the author of my textbook. In reflection, I now see how much he shaped my theology...In a good way. He was conservative in the grand scheme of things, but in a very balanced sort of way.

His writings have helped me especially in the understanding of the holy mystery of the Trinity. With an unusual bit of nostalgia and sense of loss for someone I didn't personally know, I just picked up my copy of Theology for the Community of God and read some pages that were paper clipped, highlighted and underlined regarding the Trinity. I'm going through a message series on the Trinity right now and even though I didn't use the book in my research for the current series, it's pretty scary to see Grenz's influence on my theology.

When I shook Dr. Grenz's hand in class a few years back, little did I know he would influence me as much as he did. Thanks again, Dr. Grenz.

May God comfort the Grenz family.