Thursday, January 27, 2005

An incredible book I'm just now discovering...



OK, this book is four years old and all the really sharp and well informed people I know have heard about this book and many have read it. I must admit that I've been a bit behind the leadership learning curve the last couple of years. I seemed to have slacked off since I changed church cultures. Church plants don't have too many stumps to plow around (And all of God's people said, "Cool.") I got lazy and in the meantime could have been a better leader. Thanks to my good friend Tony McCollum for getting me into a loop that is challenging me to be a better learner and leader...

No big review here, except that this is the best book on leadership I've read. I'm a big John Maxwell fan, but frankly this book is the best because it's academically sound and built on empirical data. If seminaries don't begin teaching tracks on leadership they're going to keep churning out pastors that are preaching idiots.

Other books in the learning pipeline waiting to be read...The Tipping Point, The Five Temptations of a CEO, FOCUS; The future of your company depends on it, and The E Myth Revisited.