Wednesday, January 26, 2005

"Fish" says he's retiring...I don't believe him



My daughter is a classmate of one of Ed Jasper's kids. Pretty cool. It made it easy to get an autograph during training camp. After the crushing loss to Philly (in more ways than one), Ed says he's retiring. He's been playing in the NFL since 1997...so that makes it seven years his body's been beaten by professional 300+ pound offensive linemen. Back surgery in '03 and a nasty wrist injury this year are making him think twice about returning to the Falcons after an emotional loss.

Whatever...His son tells my daughter the other day, "You have to keep this a secret, but my Dad makes $2.5 million a year." Well I guess the secrets out, right? Fortunately for Nick, the AJC beat him to it. Fish has two more years left on his contract at $2.5 mil per year. Retirement? That's what he told reporters right after the loss. Ed wants to retire to a couple thousand acres out west so he can hunt and fish and enjoy the money he's made as a solid defensive tackle. I say it's just an emotional decision and he'll come back after surgery on his wrist. Of course, he'll probably say "Whatever!" and take the money he's saved (no bling-bling for Ed and his family) and move back to Texas.

I don't blame him, I just wish he would hang around. For the love of Pete, I need more autographs.